Friday, March 27, 2009

SpRiNg BliZZaRd...

My Front Yard & Street

Today we have been experiencing a Spring Blizzard. According to the news it is the worst one since March 22, 1957. As of 4:30 p.m. we had gotten 5.2" of snow, with 2' snow drifts.

On Thursday @ 5:00 p.m. they had already canceled some schools around the Panhandle, including AISD. The only sign of a storm coming were the dark clouds & a little wind. I really did not think it would get as bad as they were saying, 10-12" of snow.

Well, we woke up this morning to snow falling on top of ice, it had rained early Friday morning before the snow. Since school was canceled our day care was closed, so I was already going to have to call in. Well, my boss called me first. Our office was going to be closed!! Amen!! As far as I know, this is only the 2nd time AQHA has ever closed. Well, JD was still going to have to go in though.

He went out to heat up the van & was covered in ice, the doors were frozen & there was a big snow drift at the end of our driveway. While he was waiting for the van to defrost, his boss called him to see if he would be coming in & they ultimately decided if it was going to be a while before he could get there, not to bother.

Thank God, because I am scared to drive in this weather & I did not want him to leave us here alone. Yes, I am a big baby.

I-40 East & West, coming in to Amarillo, ended up closing & there was a multiple car pile up along the interstate at one time. As of right now we still have our power, but there are a few little towns without power as we speak.

Here are some pictures. Do not let them fool you, it was deep in some spots & some are just snow drifts. Other places were kind of bare, but we have a rather large tree in the front yard, so the snow is mostly on it. The funny thing was Apollo would keep one foot up at all time & was practically begging me to let him back in. Poor baby!

Snow by my steps & this plant is frozen to the porch now...

My Precious Apollo...he did not like it!

This snow drift is between our driveway & our neighbor's driveway.

My question is, where was this snow at Christmas time?? When we moved into our house, exactly four years ago, it snowed the day after we unloaded the U-haul truck. It was Spring break too!




*******************************************************************************************************
UPDATE 11:40 P.M.
I am not sure as of right now how many inches we have gotten since earlier this evening, but they are estimating 2" per hour, with 10' snow drifts in some places.

Our heater stopped working because the return air vent filter needed to be replaced, so JD ended up having to get out anyway. He said it was not to bad going the 10+ blocks to Wal-Mart. Thank God, I was worrying the whole time, but I know we need our heater or we will freeze to death.
Backyard Pix

Girls' Bikes

The Backdoor @ ground level

I will take some pix in the morning. I tried to take some of the front yard just now from the doorway, but it is too dark outside.


No comments: