Saturday, March 07, 2009

March for Babies

I am so EXCITED! A friend of mine, Keisha, has gotten me involved with the March of Dimes. At first I did not think I was a candidate for the March of Dimes. I assumed the March of Dimes was for preemies born alive. Little did I know, stillbirths are part of the March of Dimes as well.

So, Keisha picked me up everything I would need to sign up to be a part of the March of Dimes. As well, as the March for Babies paperwork to walk. They are doing several fundraisers as well to raise money besides just the 5K run & walk that they do every year, like we are selling 24-20oz. bottles of sodas for $20 & Desperado's (a local restaurant) is selling presmoked rack of ribs for $20 & 25% goes to the March of Dimes. Well, I took my contributions information to work with my Thursday & by Friday, I had collected $90 (not including the money I have not collected yet) & I got 5 women to sign up to walk with me. Not only that, one of the March of Dimes directors in my area brought be 4 boxes of chocolates Friday morning @ 11:30 & by 2pm I had sold 2 1/3 boxes to the ladies in my building! The coolest thing, is that all of the candy bars have Keisha's baby girl's name on them "in Memory of Brooke Julian". I plan to do a few fundraisers on my own as well & my walking mates now have a contribution sheet of their own to get donations from the friends & family. I will post some facts about the March of Dimes later, I promise.

I really feel like I am doing something now. Not only because I lost a baby, but maybe we can keep another baby from being born too soon & keep complications at a minimum.

Now I must tell you, I have not seen my family yet to see if they would like to be a part of this, but I am sure I will have some more walkers by this afternoon when they come over for KK's bday party. And any of you who may be interested in campaigning for someone that does not live near you, you can still go to your local March of Dimes & partake in their walk & get your friends & family to donate for the cause. I always thought something like this would never happen to me, & believe me, I hope it never happens to anyone else, but we have to remember we are not invincible.



P.S. I have more green growing in my garden & it is suppose to get into the 30's this coming week, pray it does not freeze.

No comments: