Saturday, January 18, 2014

Romans 8:26-27

On Sunday mornings we are in Romans 8. It has truly been an awesome experience to be learning this book so far.

Last weekend we were in Romans 8:26-27. Talking about prayer and how we do not know what we should pray for, that is why we have the Holy Spirit to help us. I have never been a great prayer-er, but if someone asks me to pray for them, I do it. I know that the Holy Spirit will form my prayer.

I follow the prayer ritual I learned as a child, to pray for the needy and strangers, friends, family and then yourself. I was taught never to be selfish or demanding in your prayers and to make sure you always ask for forgiveness. So, I make sure to pray in this order, adding in "not my will, but Your will" to the end so I do not sound demanding. When I am done praying I sometimes remember that I have forgotten to pray for someone who had requested it. And so I start up again. I believe that is the Holy Spirit reminding me that I had told someone I would pray for them earlier and must remember to keep my promise.


In case you do not have a bible handy here it is for you:
Romans 8:26-27
"Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God."




As I hear every week from my Pastor, "The Holy Spirit is listed 20 times in Romans chapter 8"...thought I would pass on that tidbit of information. :) 




No comments: