Thursday, May 08, 2014

Baptized in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit

At church this Sunday they announced there would be a Spring Baptism this Wednesday night if anyone was interested. 

When I was younger I had wanted to get baptized. My dad had explained it was not something you do just because your friends are doing it and you have to make sure you are really ready. So, I just gave up the idea and thought I just needed to accept Jesus into my heart to be saved. The churches I attended growing up never really talked about baptism and so I just left it at that. 

Since going to Grace my Pastor talks a lot about baptism. So, I started praying about it and I knew I was ready for that next step.

Makaila and I watched the Billy Graham special together when it aired. At the end of the video Billy Graham asks anyone who has not been saved to say the sinner's prayer with him. I was not really even sure she was paying attention, but I could hear her repeating every word. After it was over she looked at me said, "That was really great!". I had asked her if that was the first time she had asked Jesus into her heart, she told me she had actually done it at church already.

They have been watching "I AM SECOND" videos during youth and she had asked me about being baptized and we have talked about it, but nothing more. But this weekend after church, she asked me if she could get baptized. We talked about it the next few days. I wanted her to know that it is not something you do because your Pastor wants you to or your parents want you to or because your friends are doing it. We also discussed why we should do it when we are ready. On Wednesday night I asked her if she wanted to go to church. She said yes, but she was not sure about getting baptized. I told her that if she felt God moving her to do it, then when the Pastor asks if there is anyone else, to go up to the front.

After getting dunked, I walked out to dry off and came back inside to stand in the back to  watch and clap for my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. As the line was dwindling, Makaila got up and started to the back of the sanctuary where I was standing. I asked her if she wanted to do it and she said she was not sure. I told her again that only she would know. At that time our Pastor asked if anyone else would like to come up, she looked at me and asked me to walk up there with her. 

I feel she has a special purpose in the ministry and I pray daily that I am able to lead her in the right direction. I pray for myself to continue growing my relationship with God and to do His works. 










No comments: