Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer Time

It is summer time, my kids are out of school & enjoying staying up late & getting to sleep in. 

I remember summer break when I was a kid. Staying outside into the dark to play hide-n-seek with the neighbor kids. Sitting on our porch laughing & catching June bugs that flew around us in the porch light. Just getting to be a kid...

Going camping at least once before school started up again & getting to go visit family we hadn't seen since the holidays.

Those were the days...

I hope to make my children's summers memorable. We usually try to take a family vacation or go do something fun before the school year starts. We have cookouts with family or hang out at the park. Or we just hang out at the pool at our apartment. 

Most of our family lives here in the same city, so we do not get to travel too far. My oldest brother & his family lives about 6 hours away & sometimes we get to see them at least once during the summer. 

My kids will never get to know what it is like to pack up at 5:00am into a Buick, with one kid in the back window, one laying across the backseat & one laying in the floorboard on a makeshift bed. Singing silly songs as we go along for the ride. 

Nowadays, riding in the back window is frowned upon...lol

I would love to hear of others' summer time traditions. 

No comments: