Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Baby Update

We had our 1st trimester screening yesterday. I was super nervous the whole time we were there & they were feeding us so much information at one time & then wanted me to make the decision to what testing I would prefer. Ugh! Nerve racking!

I could not sleep the night before because I kept dreaming that this doctor was going to be a quack & in my dream she told us to terminate & then would not let us leave her office. It was so crazy!

We ended up choosing the safest & easiest testing.
It is a noninvasive evaluation that combines a maternal blood screening test with an ultrasound evaluation of the fetus to identify risk for specific chromosomal abnormalities, including Down’s Syndrome Trisomy-21 & Trisomy-18. In addition to screening for these abnormalities, a portion of the test (known as the nuchal translucency) can assist in identifying other significant fetal abnormalities, such as cardiac disorders. The screening test does not detect neural tube defects. The nuchal translucency test is where they measure the fluid between the spine & the skin on the back of the neck.

I will have to go back in four weeks to have my second blood draw performed.

This little baby is very active. Kind of brought back memories of seeing Nehemiah on the screen moving around. I had a lot of emotions going on. I have not really thought anything negative about this pregnancy & have been feeling really good, but when we got there yesterday & they were feeding us all this information I really started to think about whether I really wanted to go through with it. What if they found something? What would we decide to do? What if we made the wrong choice if we had to make a choice? I know I have to give this pregnancy over to God & let Him be in control. I know in my heart everything will work out for the best.

To end on that note:
We did want to share our little beaner with you as well. It really is still rather early, but I feel like I have to share this & I feel really confident this pregnancy will end on a very good note.

JD says this baby has a "KK" head. If anyone knows my family, a few of our children have rather large heads. I like to think that means they are just special..

No comments: