Thursday, April 23, 2009

TrAdiTiOnS

Well, it has been a few weeks since I posted anything.

Easter was fun! The girls & I went to my little brother's church where he lead the praise & worship that Sunday morning. It was awesome! There church is really nice, not too many people & the music was fantastic! I know my girls enjoyed kids church.

That morning we got up to check on our cookies, well I messed up somewhere & they did not turn out. They were thin & runny in the middle. I found another way to make them, so next year I plan to do it all over again. The girls enjoyed the story that followed along with making them. But while I was beating the mixture Beethoven & I had this discussion:
B: "That is boring!"
Me: "What is?"
B: "That noise!"
B: "Do you like this?" She asks as she stomps her dress shoes on the floor.
Me: "No, that is just annoying."
B: "NO, that is boring!"
So, needless to say, she has boring & annoying confused with one another. It was funny anyway.

We decorated eggs after we got the cookies into the "grave". That was fun as well. That is my most favorite memory of being a child. Sitting around the table covered in newspaper with bowls of different colors & a dozen hard boiled eggs w/my brothers. This is one tradition I will keep going for as long as I can. No one else in my family does this, so the girls & I make enough for my dad, JD & Andrea to eat after we are through.

I love the holidays & I try to find a new tradition that the girls & I can do w/each other every year. Christmas is a hard one since we never know who is going to be here. When I was a child, my brothers & I had to stay in each others room until my parents got up for us to see what Santa brought us (usually one of us would have already snuck out to see). When my sisters came along we would all sleep in mine & my sisters room. We had a daybed w/a trundle underneath, so we would raise the trundle up to make it one huge bed & we would all five sleep in there.We did this until we all started getting married. Then it got too crowded & some of the people did not want to continue this tradition. For me, what is one night w/out sleep together. Oh well.

For Thanksgiving the girls & I usually try out a new recipe. Either a desert or snack recipe. My brothers say the prayer, which are usually awesome to hear! Maybe we can think of a better one to start this year.

New Year's Eve we spend it at my parents' home w/my aunt, cousins, grandma & any other family that is here & not working. We drink margaritas & eat junk food. This year my older brother & his family got to stay & we did Karaoke! It was so much fun! JD & I use to spend it at his cousin's house, but it got too scary driving across town w/all the drunks out there.

What an amazing family I have though & love spending time w/all of them! I would not trade any of them for anything in the world! Some of them I wish I could see more though since they live farther away. Maybe one day we will all be closer.


No comments: